Friday, February 02, 2007

Canada Post, Do They Really Use Dog Sleds?

My answer is YES. I am waiting for a book to arrive in the mail. The author works approximately one mile from my house. Unfortunately our schedules did not match up well. So I told him to sling the book in the snail mail rather than go and pick it up.

That was 48 hours ago. Now, you will have to bear with me here, while I dust off my high school math. I seem to recall that 1 mile is 1,760 yards or 5280 feet.

Based on the popular view of a day having 24 hours in it, we can determine the speed at which Canada Post operates.

It is now 48 hours after the book was put in the mail. If you divide the distance by the time, you end up with a conclusion that Canada Post moves at approximately 110 feet per hour! Another view would be that the average letter or package moves somewhat less than 2 feet per minute!

Based on this slightly less than scientific survey I conclude that it is a miracle that we get any mail at all! Of course the stinking bills allways seem to get here on time!

No comments: