Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Week In Review(s)

Well, I think I could describe it as interesting, it certainly was not what I had imagined.


On the book front, I finished Wearing The Spider by Susan Schaab that turned out to be an excellently crafted work about Identity Theft and the manipulations that can occur. I am pretty sure that Susan is going to go far in the writing industry. It was an "Uncorrected Proof" copy that I read, and I could find no mistakes, that in itself is amazing. I have never seen that before. This is a book that should go far.


I also finished Travels With Loreena McKennit by Niema Ash, this is a brand new book, yet is already making legal history. Ms Ash was Loreena's friend, travelling companion and confidant for a number of years, and she writes a very candid account of living under the umbrella of a superstar. Most people think of Loreena McKennitt as the golden Celtic angel, who exhibits almost goddess like status on the stage. Alas this does not seem to spill over into Lorena McKennitts private life. Oh, and if you want a copy of this book, I would recommend you buy it soon. To find out why check out my article on Blogger News.

On the music and video scene I forced Jan to sit and watch several curious offerings.


We started off with Gothic Vampires From Hell, I was not really sure if this was a movie or a concert. The special effect, were, to say the least, special! I liked it because it was so 'interestingly' done. I am not a horror fan, but did not feel uncomfortable watching this one. While I doubt it will get any Oscar nominations, it was a harmless flick that any Goth fan would find to be a great addition to their DVD library.

Looking for some relief from the blood suckers we tried Cruisin Love Songs This is a collection of various artists performed at the same club. It was fun to watch it 'The Way It Was'.


Next we explored one of the fine Under Review series from MVD, this time they have selected Mott The Hoople, Mott the who? I ask you ask. This is a brit band, and maybe their greatest hit was 'All The Young Dudes'. It was a great review of this 80's 'Hair Band'. I liked it a lot, I am not so sure about Jan's view on it though. She is much more into Country and Western, and the two styles do not seem to have much in common.

It has been a long time since I listened to any 70's style German hard rock, and that's exactly what we did next. Remember The Daze by Epitaph was the weapon of choice. These guys have been in the music biz for over 30 years, and while they may not be a household name on this side of the pond, they are well respected in Europe. Give them a try, you might like them!

Next week? Well on Tuesday Jan and I get to hob nob with the local press guys, we have been invited to attend a "Press Only" screening of Rise: Blood Hunter that opens on June/1. I have a couple of books that I have to get to, and I still have a pile of DVD's that need to be tackled.

No comments: