Sunday, May 27, 2007

Yet Another Datacenter Problem

As is common these days my ISP only uses dynamic Ip's unless you want to spend the big bucks on a static. I have had the same IP address for over two years, well all that changed yesterday! Someone decided that I needed a new one. Now for the regular guy this is a transparent and unimportant change, but, if you are a lunatic like me this signals near disaster.

The first sign of trouble was when Jan couldn't get into her web site, then I couldn't get into one of mine. I knew they were both hosted on the BeerBox, and my first reaction was shock, Linux had finaly crashed! Of couse the BeerBox, is just that, no screen, or other parafenalia is attached to it, it just sits and runs for months on end.


My first plan of attack was a re-boot, so I threw the on/off switch (actually a regular 99 cent residential switch bought from the local Megamart!


A good 5 mins later it was apparent that I was going to have to investigate the problem, the web sites were still down. So I dragged a monitor over and plugged it it. The first big problem was logging in, who the hell knows what the Root password is? It has been 6 months since I touched this beast last. Ten minutes 'of trying every possible password I can think of' later I am in! And all looks fine, I can even access the outside world through whatever funky browser is on it.


Confusion reigns supreme at this stage! Then the light bulb turns on, it must be the stinking IP addy. Sure enough a quick look inside the Router proves me right. Dem b@stards have changed my IP.

The moral of the story? Don't use dynamic IP's for web sites hahahahahahaha

No comments: