Monday, August 06, 2007

The Art Of Interviewing

It is most definitely an art form. I probably have done close to 50 in the last 6 months. And it gets harder and harder. Although the victims change, many of the readers do not. What could be more boring than reading the same questions time and time again? It really does become a challenge to come up with new stuff to ask.

That is where I find myself right now. I have the green light to interview a musician that I have admired for over 30 years, and I have been wrestling with the questions for 2 days. An absolute key is keep the questions positive, no-one (myself included) wants to field "so what went wrong in the late 70's?". Yet it is a question that I really want to ask.

Sometimes interviews just fall into place, in fact most times that is the case, but not this one!

My solution...... have another beer!

No comments: