Monday, September 04, 2006

Big Screen TV Simon Style

A couple of years ago I acquired an LCD projector.

On Sunday evening I decided that it was time to take it on the whirl. Of course I could have hooked it up in the livingroom, but that seemed too easy.

Just before sundown I dragged the projector and my media PC (an old pile of HP crap) outside. My next door neighbor's house has a really nice large white stucco wall with no windows in it. I guessed that this would make a perfect screen.

The whole adventure came close to being derailed, the f'ing HP decided that this would be the perfect time for stinking windows to start crashing. Some quick thinking was required, and before you can say "blue screen of death" I had XP reloaded.

By now it was dark and so I powered up the gear. I have to say that the Windows desktop is quite magnificent when it is 12 feet wide and 10 feet high.

A quick copy across the local area network, it's always handy to have a 100 foot cat 5 cable, and we were all set.

Armed with a plentiful supply of cold beverages (Lucky Extra 6%) we watched 'O Brother, where art thou'. This is one of my favorite movies, if you have not seen it go rent it from Blockbuster.

I am sure that the passing motorists were impressed.

The most perilous part of the whole endeavor was the disassembly phase. It was nearly midnight and the Lucky Extra was becoming a significant factor. Joey, my stepson, came to our rescue and handled most of the heavy lifting.

Ah, just another day in the strange life of Simon!

1 comment:

Life in the 80's said...

haha brilliant. I used to have a projector, and there is a setting where it flips the image and makes it trapeziod - you can then bounce the image off a mirror onto a wall, which comes out so big you dont know where to look! haha