Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Week In Review(s)


It has been a pretty dull week for reviews. I almost ran out of books and had to dig really deep to find something to read. I finally resorted to Sentience and Sensibility. All in all this was not a great choice. I am still trying to figure out what the hell was going through my mind when I requested a copy.

This is another book out of academia, and is about as much fun as a root canal. Clearly there is a lot of truth in the 'Publish or perish' theory about academics. There certainly is a huge rift between the trade and academic presses. Normally a 200 page book would be a leisurely 2 day adventure, I think I am on day 5 of Sentience and Sensibility. I feel genuinely sorry for the poor students that are forced to read this book.

The week briefly improved when Behind The Eyes arrived. This looked like a fun little read, it is aimed at the 'young adult' reader and chronicles the life of an ex-gang member growing up in southern Texas.

Being the conscientious reviewer that I am, I e-mailed the agent and let her know that I was on the book. She replied, 'oops, we sent the wrong book, we don't need this one reviewed'. You might find that hard to believe, but, it is something that happens all the time.




I rounded out the week with a music video, Bobby Rush Live at Ground Zero Blues Club. Bobby is a 50 year veteran blues performer. Although I am not a huge fan of this genre of music, the songs were pretty well done, and a couple were actually quite listenable.

Where Bobby went wrong though was his choice of dancers. Personally I think that overweight women in skin tight outfits is a bit of a turn off. They kept 'butting in' (pun intended).


So what is a guy to do when he is out of review material? You go and find more! I managed to get on with a large music promoter, and even better, a large movie promotion company. I am pretty excited about the movie deal, I have already previewed a couple of screeners for them that were exceptional. More free stuff, whats not to love?

2 comments:

Internet Operation Manger Mr.Ekeh said...

Great Site way to go your doing great check out my sites and tell me how im doing sometime.

www.mc5treasures.com
http://mc5treasures.blogspot.com

MC5 Rules
IOM Mr.Ekeh from blog soldier

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

As co-author of perhaps the most obtuse chapter in Silliman's book (the appendix), I laughed aloud at your tongue-in-cheek review. Glad you enjoyed it!