Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Digital Cameras (from HP Photosmart to Hasselblad)

Several years ago I had the opportunity to play with a couple of Digital Cameras, to say that I was unimpressed is an understatement. I could not for the life of me believe that anyone would fork over huge amounts of money for something that at best was not quite as good as a $5 disposable Kodak 110. I must admit that I maintained that stance until fairly recently.

The industry has marched forth despite my early comments. Right now there are some excellent cameras on the market. At the low end of the price range is the HP Photosmart series.
The most basic HP Photosmart retails for about $140, while most of the Photosmart series is in the $300-$500 range. Not only do they take great photos, they also come with the ability to plug directly into HP Photosmart printers. You do not even need a computer!

One of my friends has a Photosmart R817 and he let me take it for a whirl. This is one of those cameras that you just cannot fail with. The quality of the results is outstanding.

BUT..... If you want something that is truly amazing, something that will just blow your digital socks off, then you need to check out what Hasselblad is up to. The Hasselblad H2D is their incredibly high end Digital Camera. This monster is a 39 megapixel camera. I hear you ask "so how much is one of these critters?". Well prices vary, but after tax you can reasonably expect to pay about $1000 per megapixel.

Yes you read that right, to be the proud owner of a Hasselblad H2D your credit card is going to be about $37,000 lighter. I could not even imagine what the monthly payments would look like!

Oh and of course you probably will need a couple of spare digital backs, a couple of lenses, and a nice swanky bag to put your new toy in. I would say that $60,000 is probably a good round figure for the entire kit!

My budget alas did not quite go that far, so I did the next best thing. I went to Wal Mart and bought a Concord 1500 digital camera, this is a pretty basic unit that you point and shoot. The good news was that my total investment was $60, making it approximately 1/1000 of the cost of the Hasselblad H2D.

Now all I have to do is figure out what I am going to spend the other $59,940 on!

No comments: