Thursday, June 22, 2006

How I beat Wired.com to a story!

I am a big fan of Wired magazine, and everyday I check out their Web site. For those of you that do not know Wired, its one of those high class, techy type rags. Full of articles about stuff that us poor mortals are unlikely to ever have enough money to buy.

When I am not fooling around writing blogs, and doing generally bad things to aging computers, typewriters etc. I do have a real job. I know this will come as a shock to many of you, but yes, Simon does actually work for a living.

I teach computer skills to the homeless and low income folks in Calgary, Alberta. I have been doing this for over 4 years. I know what the homeless do, and I know what the do not do.

The Wired story involved the homeless using laptops and Wi-Fi connections, yes they do this. (Oh by the way I should link to their article so that you can read about it for yourself.)

This is a story that I wrote about 6 months ago! Of course I do not write for Wired, I just write for me, but it was nice to see that at least some of my theories are shared by others.

A quick easy read is my comment on the digital divide.

A more detailed account of what I see happening is here (you MUST use Internet Explorer for this file, it is in a format that only IE understands)

If you are still not bored you can read the whole web page. It's only in the beginning stage of development and Lord only knows when it will be finished.

No comments: