Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Musical Insanity

It must be the summer, and there is not much going on in the reviewing world, I am completely out of books, and let me tell you, that is something that I never thought would happen. At one point I had over a dozen volumes in my to do pile. I do hope it picks up again soon because I was hoping to break the 100 books in a year barrier! This may seem like a ridiculous number of books for anyone to read, but in actual fact it is only 2 a week.

Anyway in view of this lack of books I am forced to look elsewhere for stuff to do. I was pretty hopeful that the DVD distributor would keep me busy, they release at the rate of about one a day. Well, the last big box of goodies I got from them certainly has plenty to keep me busy, but, who the hell knows anything about Cuban musicians from the 60's and 70's! It all sounds like bad Mariachi music to me. I tried one review, and extended my limited knowledge of Cuban music to it's limits. Unfortunately I have 5 more!

I decided to put them all back on the 'pending' list.

I was pretty excited yesterday when the latest Dave Cousins album arrived, he sings in English, and has been around for 300 years. In his multi generational career he has only produced 2 solo albums, and number 1 was Two Weeks Last Summer, and that was over 20 years ago. I ripped the plastic off this new one The Boy In The Sailor Suit and put it in the player. It was not the Dave Cousins I wanted. Somehow 20 years of writing and touring has changed him.

So I have decided to do something completely off the wall (even by my standards). This morning I received a press release from a company they specializes in classical music. And yes, I do like it on occasion. I have gone for an Opera, but not just any Opera, this one was composed in 1697, and features the harpsichord as the lead instrument!

I hope fall gets here soon, I am not sure how much more I can take of this.

No comments: